Sunday, October 4, 2009

Capitalism: A Love Story.

I saw this movie last night and I am absolutely appalled. It really just threw in my face what I already knew. I recommend this movie to anyone who gives a shit about this country.

Learned? With Capitalism, there is no Democracy.

I finally feel charged to get back into activist work. Thanks, Michael Moore.

Okay, maybe I should elaborate more on the most memorable points:

1) Major companies today are taking life insurance policies on their employees. Such companies include WalMart, CityBank, Bank of America, among others. One man died and Walmart earned over $81,000 off of it. His wife received nothing. In a nutshell, he was a better employee dead than alive.

2) Foreclosures...where do I start? Homeowners were encouraged to "refinance" their homes- aka release ownership and pay back their mortgage all over again. Banks also started offering high-risk loans to people who they knew could not pay them back. The result? The banks foreclose homes when homeowners can't pay back the loans and ridiculous interest rates. One woman in the film lost her home of 22 years. She and her neighbors refused to leave until the eviction team left. Another family had their house broken into to foreclose it. Afterwards, rich people come swoop up these homes and sell them for a profit- vultures. Ball outs go to the banks, but don't they belong to the people?

3) 1% of the country- the rich- own more than what 95% of the population owns put together. Enough said.

4) The majority of previous Goldman Sachs CEOs work for the U.S. government now. Wait, don't work for...run. We are run by economic tyrants.

It is time for action. Write to your congressman. Get involved. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment